During these unprecedented times, you may prepare for Virtual Career Fairs
——— Before the fair ———
- View the list of employers attending each fair.
- Research employers and create a short list of those you’d like to meet.
- Prepare your resume and have it reviewed.
- Looking for an internship, co-op or entry-level job? Take action before the fair!
- ePACK. get into the system to be considered for postings and interviews.
- Co-op orientation: attend a session to begin the process.
- Reserve a minimum of 2 hours for the fair. Check with faculty before missing class.
- Prepare a 10 second introduction that includes your name, major, year, and career interest.
“I’m Alex Williams, a senior in civil engineering. I’m graduating in December with a structures concentration. I am interested in design positions in your Greensboro office.”
——— Day of the fair ———
- Dress professionally: business casual (interns/co-ops), traditional interview (new grads).
- Print 25+ copies of your resume; store in a portfolio or folder.
- Pack extra paper and pen for important note taking.
- Pack your short list of employers. Be open to impromptu conversations. Keep in mind that employers are eager to meet students and many are NC State graduates!
- Arrive early in the day, if possible.
- Check in at the front desk, pick up a nametag and map of the fair.
- Observe seasoned students in action.
- Practice. Begin with an employer who is not on your short list.
- Smile, initiate a handshake, introduce yourself and offer your resume.
- Follow the cues of each employer.
- Help employers get to know you and what you have to offer (your strengths and interests).
- Show interest and enthusiasm – ask questions.
- Employers may take your resume or ask you to apply on-line.
- Thank them for their time, state your interest and ask about the next steps in the process.
- Request a business card.
- Jot a few notes to remember details of important conversations.
——— After the fair ———
- Check ePACK for job postings or on-campus interviews associated with the fair.
- Apply on-line if requested by employers.
- Email a brief thank you note to employers of interest. Let them know what steps you’ve taken (applied on-line, requested an interview) and attach a copy of your resume.
- Save business cards for the future and follow up when appropriate.