Rural Works! welcomes private, public, government, and non-profit organizations in rural communities to host an intern for summer 2021. The Rural Works! program coordinator is available to assist employers throughout the process. Please let us know if you have any questions about the program.
To qualify for the Rural Works! program, employers must:
- Be located in or work with a rural community in North Carolina
- Compensate the intern a minimum of $10.00 per hour for 40 hours per week for 10-12 weeks
- Help the intern identify temporary housing within the community
- Provide the intern with interim and post internship feedback (a template will be provided)
- Complete a post internship evaluation survey
- Provide each intern eight hours of compensated time to conduct or participate in a community engagement activity outside of their job to deepen their understanding of the community.
- Submit the Employer Interest Form
- Submit the Internship Description Form
- Rural Works! will promote the internship opportunity to NC State students November 2020- February 2021
- Employers will review applications, conduct interviews, and hire an intern by March 26, 2021. Please read the Hiring Process Information.
- Employers should complete the Employer Hiring Form once they have selected an intern (no later than March 26, 2021)
- Employers may begin their hiring process in November 2020. All hiring must be complete by March 26, 2021.
Engineering Participation Stipend Award
The College of Engineering Summer Internship Participation Stipend award is provided to cover a 12-week internship experience over summer 2021 for engineering students. The exact award amount may vary depending on the hourly rate paid by the employer (employers must pay a minimum of $10 per hour) but will ensure the intern’s total compensation is equivalent to approximately $20 per hour. The College of Engineering Summer Internship Participation Stipend award will not pay stipends above wages of $20. The intern will be paid half of this stipend at the beginning and half at the end of the internship. If the internship is less than 12 weeks the stipend will be adjusted/prorated in the last payment however the internship must be a minimum of 10 weeks. The stipend will not be increased for internships for longer than 12 weeks. Learn more about eligibility for the participation stipend award here. Please be sure to verify the interns’ eligibility before extending an offer.
- Read the Hiring Process Information
- Log into ePack to review applications
- Verify student eligibility
- Conduct interviews
- Extend offer
- Complete the Employer Hiring Form
- Complete hiring by March 26, 2021
Support from Rural Works!
The Rural Works! coordinator is available to assist employers throughout the entire process. If you need help creating an internship description, developing interview questions or onboarding the intern, we can help. If you would like to hold interviews on campus, we can reserve space for you.
- Fall 2020: Internship Description Form due
- February 26, 2021: Internship applications close to students on ePack
- March 26, 2021: Deadline for hiring to be complete.
- March 26, 2021: Deadline to submit the Employer Hiring Form
- Mid-April 2021: Conference call for employers with Rural Works! Coordinator
- Late April 2021: Students attend Rural Works! orientation
- Late May/early-June 2021: Internships begin