NC State Career Champions are university staff/faculty/graduate students who have a special interest in facilitating an innovative culture and environment of career awareness in their college, unit, or department.
Certified Career Champions agree to communicate current career identity and career readiness techniques to students. They will encourage students to engage in career development. Certified Career Champions must recertify annually.
Career Champions will learn cutting-edge career information and trends to improve their role as an advisor, staff mentor, counselor, and/or coach.
In order to be eligible to be an NC State career champion, employees must meet the following criteria:
- SHRA, EHRA, EHRA-Faculty or a graduate student or postdoc in good standing.
- The employee or student must be in good standing with no active/pending disciplinary actions or documented disciplinary actions within the preceding 18 months.
- Receive approval from their supervisor or academic adviser to participate.
- Be able to attend and complete the mandatory Career Champion training. Upcoming training dates can be found on the registration form.
- Be committed to being a Career Champion for the academic year incorporating the toolkits into student conversations when appropriate.
Fill out the Career Champion Registration form to sign up for training.
This 7-hour training program is for university staff/faculty/graduate students who have a special interest in facilitating an innovative culture and environment of career awareness in their college, unit, or department. Certified Career Champions are open to having career conversations with students and share up to date career resources. They will encourage students to engage in Career Development Center programming such as the Career Identity Program, PackPros, Co-Op, ePACK, etc.
Certified Career Champions must complete a shortened training to recertify annually.
|Agenda for Initial Certification|
|Welcome and Introductions|
|Expectations and Today’s Plan|
|Ask the ‘Pack for Networking ‘Pack Career Chats for Inspiration|
|Student Resources- What the Career Development Center offers to students and when to refer|
|Career Identity Program- a special hybrid program for career decision making|
|Focus 2- A user-friendly career assessment customized to NC State’s majors and minors|
|PackPros- A Virtual Career Readiness Certificate Program|
|What is a Career Crisis and how do we offer triage?|
|How can Career First Aid be applied?|
|Group Practice Activity|
|Mental Fitness Tools|
|What is a Career Curious Student? How can the Storytelling Tool help?|
|Observe a Live Storytelling Tool Demonstration|
|Final Questions/Next Steps/Photo and Evaluations|
93% of our inaugural class rated the content Excellent or Very Good.
- Loved the community you created.
- Super satisfied with the training.
- I loved everything, so many good ideas.
- Lots of good strategies to share with students that might need direction or just to feel centered and validated.
- The overall day was a really great way to kick off this semester. I honestly was able to take away something from every activity, even if a helpful reminder. I also liked the examples and practicing different topics and group conversations to go over scenarios.
- Thank you so much for breakfast and lunch. That was very nice and a nice perk!