The Rural Works! internship program supports NC State’s commitment to social, economic, and technological development across North Carolina by offering an engaging internship experience for high-caliber students who work with employers to achieve their workplace goals in rural counties.
Rural Works! was created by a partnership between the Division of Academic and Student Affairs, the Office of Outreach and Engagement, and NC State Extension. Rural Works! seeks undergraduate and graduate students from a variety of majors, backgrounds, and skillsets. Internships include opportunities with private, public, and nonprofit employers in rural counties.
Benefits to Students
- Paid summer internship
- An orientation training session is provided for participants to ensure a successful and meaningful internship experience.
- StrengthsFinder assessment and training with a certified StrengthsFinder coach
- Career coaching after completion of the internship
- Experience living and working in rural communities
- Apply knowledge from the classroom to the workplace
- Gain professional work experience
- Explore potential career paths
- Develop career readiness skills
- Participate in community engagement activities
Benefits to Employers
- Access to a pool of talented NC State student applicants
- Immediate assistance with projects
- A “first look” at potential employees
- Support from Rural Works! Staff in creating and sustaining the position
- Showcase your community as a place to establish careers
- Develop a pathway of talent for your company and community
Students and employers with questions should contact Becca Dandeneau, Temporary Rural Outreach Coordinator, at 919.515.4424 or firstname.lastname@example.org