2021 North Carolina Autistic Career Summit
September 23 & 24, 2021
9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. EST
Register for the Summit
- This year's summit features a 2-hour virtual career fair held from 3:30pm to 5:30pm on both days.
- Registration for the career fair automatically provides each employer representative with access to attend all summit sessions on day one and two of the summit.
- During career fair, employers can make one-on-one connections with students to discuss current internship & full-time openings while creating brand recognition and building interest for future opportunities.
Employers must register using the link below to attend the career fair. Registration fee for employers is $50 per day, which provides individual virtual meeting space in Career Fair Plus for up to 5 representatives.
- Students do not have to attend NC State University to take part in the summit, or the career fair portion of the summit.
- This is a statewide event open to all college and university students and alumni who are on the autism spectrum.
- Diagnosis not required to attend the summit, and registration is free.
- The summit is virtual with sessions being held over Zoom and the career fair being held on the Career Fair Plus platform.
After registering for the summit using the link below, we encourage students and alumni to create a (free) Career Fair Plus account. Click here for more details about Career Fair Plus.
- There is a special "track" for parents/guardians this year with a session on each day of the summit just for you.
- Your student does not have to be in college or even a student to attend.
- Professionals who work with parents/guardians are also welcome to attend.
- Registration is free!
- All are welcome to attend the summit sessions and we encourage higher education staff & faculty, clinical and coaching professionals, K-12 teachers and administration, and private sector managers to attend
- Registration is free!
Details for the Summit
The North Carolina Autistic Career Summit is for students and alumni on the autism spectrum who are seeking helpful tips and best practices for the job search process, and an opportunity to meet with employers recruiting for paid internships and degree-related full-time roles. In alignment with the concept of neurodiversity, the summit centers autistic voices and hosts sessions predominantly featuring a diverse array of autistic professionals from a variety of careers.
In 2019 and 2020, the summit featured a combined total of 110+ students representing over 20 different institutions throughout NC and neighboring states. Whether community college, 4-year university, vocational or certificate program, this event is open for all to attend—not just NC State University students.
Please take a moment to review the agenda for each day of the summit in the links below. We encourage students, alumni, employers, staff/faculty, parents/guardians, and professionals from various backgrounds and industries to join us. If you have questions, please contact Wesley Wade at firstname.lastname@example.org
North Carolina Excellence in Leadership Award
During the 2020 summit, a new tradition began. Two North Carolina students (one from East Carolina University, and one from Forsyth Technical Community College) won the inaugural North Carolina Excellence in Leadership Awards. This award is for students who “demonstrate a drive and commitment to increasing access to quality employment opportunities for autistic students/professionals, educating local communities about autism to help increase autism acceptance, and/or working to establish an overall greater well-being for autistic students/people.”
Know a North Carolina student who demonstrates excellence in leadership as described above? Nominate them for this award here!
Students & Alumni, Want to Join the Career Fair Prep Events?
Career fairs are a great way to engage with employers, explore career options, and expand your network.
The Career Readiness Series is designed to help students and alumni attending the North Carolina Autistic Career Summit.
Participants will learn how to prepare for virtual career fairs, how to maximize their experience at the fair, and what steps to take following the event. Register here.
Need Help With Career Fair Plus?
Employers & Students
Career Fair Plus is a website specializing in hosting virtual career fairs. Please visit our Virtual Career Fair Resources webpage to address concerns and find quick answers for frequently asked questions.
Just for Students
After registering for the summit, students and alumni wanting to take part in the career fair portion of the summit will need to create a Career Fair Plus login so they may schedule meetings with employers. One week before the summit, employer meeting schedules will become available.
Make your Career Fair Plus profile now to get familiar with the platform. Once employer meeting schedules become available, they will get booked up quickly. Be ready and please email Wesely Wade at email@example.com if you have questions.