U.S. Department of State Visiting NC State University on February 28, 2024
The U.S. Department of State is scheduled to visit our campus on Wednesday, February 28, 2024. This momentous occasion promises an insightful engagement with diplomatic affairs and an invaluable opportunity for the academic community to interact with key figures shaping international relations.
At the forefront of this visit is the distinguished Gentry Smith, an alumnus of NC State. Holding the esteemed position of Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security, Smith brings a wealth of experience and expertise in safeguarding diplomatic missions and personnel worldwide. As an exemplar of the university’s commitment to producing influential and accomplished graduates, Smith’s return to campus serves as an inspiration to current students, showcasing the potential for impactful contributions to global diplomacy.
Schedule of the Day:
10:00 AM – 3:00 PM: Armored Car and Mobile Command Center Exhibition – Stafford Commons
- The US Department of State Armored Car and Mobile Command Center Exhibition will showcase a specialized vehicle and a command center utilized by the Department of State for various diplomatic missions and security operations worldwide. The exhibition will feature an armored Toyota LC200 with modifications designed to protect diplomats, officials, and sensitive cargo in high-risk environments. The vehicle is equipped with advanced security features such as protective technology, a mobile video system, bulletproof glass, reinforced body armor, and defensive counter-measures against explosive devices.
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Careers at the Department of State Panel Discussion – Talley 3285
- The career panel aims to provide participants with insights into the diverse and impactful careers available within the Department of State. Attendees will have the opportunity to engage with experienced professionals who have navigated the complex world of international relations and diplomacy.
1:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Department of State Bureaus at the Career Fair – Talley Ballroom
- Bureau of Arms Control, Deterrence, and Stability (ADS)
- Bureau of Political–Military Affairs (PM)
- Bureau of Global Public Affairs (GPA)
- Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA)
- Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM)
- Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs (OES)
- Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor
1:30 PM – 2:30 PM: Fireside Chat with Assistant Secretary Gentry Smith – Talley 3285
- Join us for an insightful Fireside Chat with Assistant Secretary Gentry Smith, a distinguished leader responsible for the protection of U.S. government personnel, facilities, and information on a global scale. With oversight of a diverse staff of 50,000 employees, including special agents, engineers, and other professionals, across 270 diplomatic posts, Assistant Secretary Smith plays a pivotal role in ensuring the security and resilience of U.S. interests.